|Nurturing Our Spirited Children|
|Home||Parent to Parent||Resources||Site Guide|
Click on the topic name to move directly to that section
Return to Main Online Resources page.
1. Information in "quotes" is quoted directly from the actual web page. It has been included here for INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY to give you a better idea of what that site has to offer.
2. Links open a new browser window, they do not change the page in this window. When you're done reading, simply close the new window.
3. Please remember......YOU are the only true "experts" when it comes to knowing your child. Not all the information you read about raising spirited children will "feel right" to you, not all will match with your families values and beliefs. Take what is useful, nurture your own instincts, and FOLLOW YOUR HEART!
Return to Top
After raising eight children and practicing pediatric medicine for more than 30 years, we have answered questions from thousands of parents. Millions more have sought our advice through our 30+ pediatric books, articles in parenting magazines, and our appearances on more than 100 television programs such as 20/20, Donahue, Good Morning America, Oprah, CBS This Morning, CNN, NBC's Today Show and Dateline. How did all of this come about? Because we've always loved kids. That why this site is dedicated to the people who have taught us the most about pediatric care: our children - James, Robert, Peter, Hayden, Erin, Matthew, Stephen and Lauren."
1. Parents of Spirited Kids Discussion Group "Discussion forum for parents of spirited kids to share parenting difficulties, strategies, mutual support, and successes in parenting the spirited child."
2. AP-SpiritedKids - [For People Over 17] "This is a support group for parents of Spirited Kids who use Attachment Parenting methods. Spirited kids are children who are more intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent, and energetic. Attachment parenting methods are co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing and respect for the child. We welcome parents who seek support for themselves and their children. For more information, mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org "
3. spirited-kids - [For People Over 17] "The spirited child is classified and defined as a child who is MORE! These being more intense, persistent, sensitive, perceptive, and uncomfortable with change. These children also seem to possess incredible energy levels...leading many to label them as hyperactive. These children can be such a joy, yet at the same time be your greatest challenge in life. The key to successfully raising a spirited child, is to learn to understand them and work with them to manage their own intensity and use it to their own advantage. If you have been doing your own research on the web or at your local bookstore, you may have already come across the book "Raising Your Spirited Child" by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka. There is also a workbook that goes with the book and I encourage getting both, as they have literally saved my sanity. The goal of this list is to bring parents of spirited children together, to network, find information and give support to one another. The concept of referring to children as spirited instead of the negative labels of "difficult, hyperactive, challenging, a pain, etc." is a rather new concept indeed. I am glad that I stumbled across it. It has given me a whole new outlook on parenting and my role in my child's life. I hope that it will do the same for you. For more information, http://www.rougee.com/spirited-kids "
4. spirited-homeschool - [Safe for Kids] "This list is for parents of Spirited Kids who are also homeschooling them. A spirited child is one who is ‘more’ as defined in Mary Sheedy Kurcinka’s book “Raising your spirited child : a guide for parents whose child is more intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent, energetic.” On this list we will be discussing all aspects of raising spirited kids, but especially those related to homeschooling them and having them with you for a large part of each day."
Return to Main Online Resources page.