Return to Main Online Resources page.
1. Information in "quotes" is quoted directly from the actual web page. It has been included here for INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY to give you a better idea of what that site has to offer.
2. Links open a new browser window, they do not change the page in this window. When you're done reading, simply close the new window.
3. Please remember......YOU are the only true "experts" when it comes to knowing your child. Not all the information you read about raising spirited children will "feel right" to you, not all will match with your families values and beliefs. Take what is useful, nurture your own instincts, and FOLLOW YOUR HEART!
Return to Top
Bowen Therapy was pioneered by Tom Bowen of Victoria, Australia in the 1950’s. He was an industrial chemist who developed his system of bodywork with animals. Very little is known about the man, whether he was an intuitive healer or if he created the system out of his own research of eastern bodywork we will never know, as he was a man who avoided publicity and, from all reports, the use of words.
He ran his clinic simply and efficiently; his clinic treated 13,000 people in one year with a 90% success rate and if any of his patients ignored his advice they were unceremoniously sent home. Some say he was an intuitive bodyworker who would only do what was appropriate and would frequently send patients home after executing four simple moves. He did not waste his time or his patients’ money, if there was no response after two treatments he would refer them on (only 10% of his cases).
Tom Bowen died in the ‘80s as a result of complications from diabetes. While he was alive he taught his techniques to only six assistants working directly under his instruction; Keith Davis, Nigel Love, Kevin Neave, Oswald Rentsch, Kevin Ryan and Romney Smeeton.
After his death his techniques have blossomed and evolved as Bowen Therapy, Bowen Technique™, Fascial Kinetics®, NST, Vibro-Muscular Therapy®, and given time many more commercial names will be given to this simple, gentle and effective therapy. These names are not important, what matters are the intentions and integrity of the teachers and their students - if these are pure then the results are remarkable and often appear miraculous. ~ from Bowen Therapy Health and Freedom
- Holistic Pediatric Association Holistic education and support for both parents and child health professionals. "We encourage parents to trust their natural wisdom and make informed choices on behalf of their children. The HPA is committed to supporting parents who seek a healing model of health care, helping parents reduce the use of ineffective and harmful drug treatments, and empowering parents to build healthy bodies and spirits in their children." You can search for a practitioner by state, join their parent forums, search their linked websites and read their extensive articles section.
- Remedyfind Rate Which Treatments Really Work and Which Don't. "Remedyfind is an independent, unbiased site where you can rate the effectiveness of treatments for specific health problems. Our goal is to serve as a community where our collective, real-life health wisdom can be pooled, thus saving time, energy and money as we cope with and eventually conquer debilitating illnesses." [Note: as with any repository of user information, make sure you factor in how many people have rated each treatment option. An average ranking of 8 based on 30 ratings is far more valuable information than an average ranking of 8 based on 2 ratings. And, an average ranking of 0 ONLY means that no one has yet rated that option and
you'll know that you need to keep searching for more information elsewhere.]
- Classical Homeopathy "This site explains classical homeopathy, types of problems it helps, shows how homeopathy can help people with a number of different types of problems and refers you to classical homeopaths in the USA & Canada. It discusses children's ear infections, depression, headaches, migraines, chronic fatigue syndrome, fears and anxieties, dyslexia, candida, fibromyalgia and ADD or ADHD. It gives information about the authors, who are homeopaths in Denver, Colorado. If no experienced homeopath is available in your area, it explains how to get long distance help." Included is an excellent referral list to classical homeopaths in the US and Canada.
- National Center for Homeopathy "Our mission at the National Center for Homeopathy is to promote health through homeopathy. By providing general education to the public about homeopathy, and specific education to homeopaths, we help to make homeopathy available throughout the United States." Features include: How to Find a Homeopath, Homeopathy Today magazine, and research information.
- Nutrition A wonderful article to get you started, with a focus on ADHD. Includes recommended book list to get you started.
Sandplay therapy is a psychotherapeutic tool used with children and adults. The method consists of the client’s creation of a three-dimensional picture with miniature figures in a tray of sand in the protective presence of a trained practitioner. ~ from Sandplay Therapists of America. Visit their site for
much more in depth descriptions.
Return to Main Online Resources page.